Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Orientation week

Orientation week or UPM called it as 'Minggu Perkasa Putra' (What about puteri?) started on 2nd July and ended on 8th July.

Nothing much happened. Mostly were routine and boring activities.

We were supposed to gather at 6:00am every morning for 'Kenegaraan'. But I only managed to wake up on time on 1 day only. The other days my roomie and I woke up late. We not only manage to escape scolding but we manage to eat the free breakfast too. Haha...

After breakfast, we walked to the super big, gigantic hall where the convocation normally held. The hall is about 700m from my kolej. We were required to wear court shoes. The pain and tiredness our feet endured no words can describe. Most of them had blisters. As for me, my feet were very tired only. Thank God for leather court shoes. One of the best!

The 1st time I stepped in, I imagined how glorious it would be if only our church is that big! It would be awesome. The hall could fit about 4000 people. It has a balcony too. really cool.

In the hall, the kolej-s (kolej = hostel blocks). UPM has 17 kolej. And each kolej would have 'Cheers Fight' among ourselves before the ceramah/taklimat starts. Every kolej would yell out loud their kolej's cheers. Every kolej was extremely semangat to cheer. We have to give support, fire others, to show love, kiss, to ignore, to protect... All sorts of cheers. At first, it was very interesting and exciting since I never experienced it before, but later, I was too tired to cheer.

There were 2 big screens in front where we could see the mahasiswee in UPM Bintulu campus live. We could see and hear their cheers too. How cool!

The cameramen in-charged were cheeky and witty. Before the majlis started, they would focus just on one interesting character and typed funny caption. Few faces became glamorous in just a second. Most of the guys would continue to pose funny faces and dance more gila. Haha... Tak malu! The gals would just buat tak nampak or hide their faces. Cacated! Since we were too busy and no TV, the guys took the golden opportunity to be reporter to announce football score! Very creative of them.

Later, we were forced to listen to long, long and bored speeches till lunch time. Next, we have 'menghitam badan' activity. We exercised, learned more cheers and learned 'tarian tamu' (UPM trademark) under the sunny bright hot sun. I'm really dark now though I memang dark.

Then, we were given 1 hour to bathe and eat dinner. Crazy but I made it!

After that, we walked back to the big hall for more cheers and more exciting ceramah!! Most of the time, I slept through the ceramah. Thank God, the cameramen didn't focus on my face. Hehe...

At 1am only we were allowed to sleep.

Everyday was about the same except for the last day.

On the last day, we had sport's day. My kolej made a bee mascot called 'Cabee' accompany with 4 flowers. And to our surprise, 6 other kolej-s too, made bee but our bee was the nicest and we won 2nd for it. They other mascots were pretty fairy, well-built scorpion, cute squirrel, pregnant eagle and overweight bear.

We have kawat, cheers, berbasikal perlahan, bowling kelapa, laying-layang and etc. since it was super hot and boring, I slept under a pondok for quite awhile. My kolej won many events and we became the overall champion!! The prize was RM10000 and hampers. WOW!! Hopefully they will fix wi-fi in my kolej. Hopefully...

If it was not because of the friends I met there, I'm sure I'll become crazy!!!

My orientation was a terrible, horrible week but eventful too.

I'll never, never forget the most torturous week in my life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Desperate Witty Owl's Stories 2008

Back to TOP